Sunday, October 10, 2010

The scientists are revolting!

Well I don't have any particular stake in the future of UK science, either as tax-payer or receiver of funds (ok we are getting some support during our stay in the UK, which I am grateful for) so I'm not going to pass judgement on this protest other than to point out that actions have consequences and our extended stay in Japan is due in no small part to the continual funding struggles that our lab(s) encountered while we were working in the UK. But although the country is probably better off without us, lots of good people may be leaving too!

It is interesting to note that according to the BBC, "Demonstrators were asked to wear science items such as a laboratory coat or telescope". Passing over the issue of how one wears a telescope, I wonder how sensible it is to persist in such self-stereotyping? I can't recall the last time I saw someone wearing a lab coat at work. Even scientists are people too.

1 comment:

EliRabett said...

They certainly are



OK, someone had to say it