Tuesday, June 10, 2008

DON'T PANIC!!!

I'm sure this will work:

Do not panic-buy petrol, PM tells motorists ahead of fuel strike.

We enjoyed the Fool Protests and the farcical "Dump the pump (but only one day a week because we don't really want to buy less fuel but just want to cause some inconvenience to others)" campaign several years ago before moving to Japan. The roads were noticeably quieter while it lasted. But all good things must come to an end, and it did not last long. (Addicts of cheap unlimited oil please note.)

As for the poor striking drivers...my heart bleeds. Actually I support their right to strike if they feel like it, but I also see that their average salary (if that £39,000 quote is accurate) is well in excess of a typical scientist. Can you hear captains of industry and academia bleating about how we need to train more lorry-drivers? I thought not.

3 comments:

SomeBeans said...

I don't drive - can I panic buy chocolate instead?

EliRabett said...

Panic (read the Spanish papers)

C W Magee said...

"their average salary (if that £39,000 quote is accurate) is well in excess of a typical scientist."

That's actually about right for a starting salary for a geologist in mining&exploration.